Arsenal News: Coquelin threatens Arsenal with departure

| September 9, 2012 | 15 Comments

Francis Coquelin knows he has the qualities to start for Arsenal, but feels that he will move on if he does not feature enough over the next six months.

The 21-year-old Frenchman managed 17 appearances last season and was consequently awarded a new long-term contract at the Emirates as Wenger reassured ‘Le Coq’ was in his first team plans.

With the departure of Alex Song, Coquelin would be expecting more game time after the Gunners failed/decided not to bring in a replacement, but the current midfield of
the reincarnated Abou Diaby, Mikel Arteta and star signing Santi Cazorla have impressed.

Coquelin told L’Equipe:

In July, I met the coach and he told me I am a full member of the team and he relies on me. Looking at who we have signed, they have trust in me.

Alex Song left for Barcelona and they didn’t (sign) another defensive midfielder.

When I didn’t play in the first three matches it made me think about it. But I know I will get an opportunity and I will seize it.

Arteta, Diaby and Cazorla are great players, who have more experience than me. But during training sessions every morning I am not behind them.

I am 21-years-old, I know I cannot be patient any more. This year is the right season to make a name for myself at Arsenal.

I have given myself six months and then I will take stock. If I see it is blocked, I will go somewhere else. But for now I know I have the qualities to make a name for myself at Arsenal

I can understand his frustrations, but he will get his chance to play as it is likely that the current midfield three will suffer injuries and rotation will be key for Wenger once midweek matches set in.

He is a quality, versatile midfielder that can fill in at right back so it is essential Coquelin is retained as he has the potential to be an important player for the club. The only other potential issue is how the return of Frimpong and Wilshere will affect the Frenchman’s chances, but they are still a month or so off returning to the first team.

Wenger will start to rotate the midfield with Champions League matches approaching so Coquelin will get his chance and should remain patient and work hard in training. The last thing the French manager needs is a winter sale of the defensive midfielder and no one to replace him. Perhaps a Premier League loan move could suit all parties?

What are your thoughts? Do you think that Le Coq should get more chances or should he be sold/loaned out in January? Feel free to comment below or in allArsenal’s forum under Coquelin’s thread.

allArsenal.com are looking for a regular news writer to join our teamsee here for details.

Or are you interested in starting your own blog and earn money at the same time? Click here for more information.

How will you be watching Arsenal's upcoming match? Sign up to Sky Digital to watch football anywhere, anytime (even on your mobile!) or check out NOWTV to get access to a Sky Sports Day Pass for £9.99 with NO contract

Tags: , , ,

Category: Arsenal News, News Feed

Comments (15)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Ebere says:

Coquelin as it is cannot make it to first eleven when we have the likes of Arteta and Diaby to who hold that position. He shoulnt be loaned out because he can still be relevant during Carling and FA cups matches, but i still prefer him to Charmak and others, even Ramsey. He can be brought in during a match we know we are winning comfortably, but personally i think he is a fine player who is ready to face any opposition, and he’s also good at helping out in defence.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

2. Dave A says:

Whens it gona end.Shall we make a stand.

The big RVP merchandise throw away day

The man has obviously no respect for us so why should we have any for him.No gooner surely still wears his shirt or drinks from his cup or wears his scarf or waves his flag or whatever you bought to support his one great year for us,so why not on that fatefull day he returns to our club playing against us dont you just throw it onto the pitch before the Kick off so he actually realises how he has left us feeling.AFC has to know how this unbelievable event has affected the fans.This transfer cant just be brushed under the carpet…….can it.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 6

3. elkieno says:

Dave A: your so lazy man, I just read this same comment on another article.

4. Invincibles nice 1 says:

like coqs desire to prove himself, need hungry players.

5. D1 says:

I think the press must be hunting down every wayward benchwarmer and injured player and stirring the pot. If he just looks at this latest international break, he’d see Diaby being run ragged by Dechamps and it wouldn’t surprise me if he starts seeing significant action this coming week and also when the meat of the schedule sets in.

But honestly, it’s as if no one wants to be a support player or help build something. They all must think there only needs to be 11 players, no bench, no rotation. And all teams must be ManC/PSG, no building a team, just buying and assembling.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

6. elkieno says:

Dave A: your so lazy man, I just read this same comment on another article

7. mark says:

take all the bombarding advertising off of you website. its f’n annoying

8. Thorough says:

The big question should be, considering Coq’s amazing versatility, should Jenkinson be playing ahead of The Coq at right back?

• Samgoon says:

I believe he should be. He has a lot more developed talent and ability. Henry made a special mention of him when he came last year, took him aside and gave him some wise words, we definitely wanna hold onto him.

9. sue says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 5

10. Ry says:

You know what kid you are a very good player but the problem is that the boss needs to win something now. so it’s going to hard for all the young players right now we the fans are the cause of that we know the boss love to play the young players but it’s been too long. Lets get that gunners for life

11. EPL REFEREE HATERS says:

@ THOROUGH , JENKINSON SHOULD BE PLAYING AHEAD OF COQUELIN IN THE RIGHT FULL BACK POSITION BCOS HE IS A NATURAL FULL BACK NOT CONVERTED AND HE’S NOT BEEN DISADPOINTING THIS SEASON SO FAR IN THAT POSITION ,SO LET COQUELIN CONTINUE TO WORK HARD HE WILL GET HIS CHANCES AND WHEN IT DOES COME ,HE SHOULD GRAB IT WELL BCOS THIS IS THE KIND OF COMPETITON FOR PLACES WE WANT IN ARSENAL TEAM TO BRING OUT THE BEST IN THE PLAYERS.

12. feetal says:

Patience my brother, patience. you’d get ur chance.

13. eskor says:

Conquelin should be patient bcos in the 2 or 3 yrs the position wil be his. Arteta is aged 30 now and wil likely be sold in d next 2 or 3 yrs. The young lad should be patient and keep on working hard or maybe a loan spel wil be a gud option for him.