Song: Wenger was like a father to me… so why did he leave his family?

| October 16, 2012 | 20 Comments

New Barcelona midfielder Alex Song has expressed his gratitude towards father figure and former manager Arsene Wenger, who helped the midfielder settle when he arrived as a 17-year-old, eight years ago.

The Cameroon international left North London in the summer transfer window and has praised his former mentor for helping to adjust to England life after leaving his family in France. The Frenchman developed the youngster into one of the most lethal midfielders in the Premier League which led to Barca’s interest over the summer.

The now-25-year-old praised his former boss for helping with his transition, and has labelled him as ‘like a father’:

When I came to England, he was a big help to me. I was very young, just 17, not 25 like I am now. Wenger was like a father to me.

It was very hard for me at first because I had left my family behind in France, and so he treated me like a son.

I have a great relationship with Wenger. I want to thank him for believing in me. I want to give him back everything he gave me I’m sure he’s happy to see where I am now and the kind of player I have become.

He always said ‘do you remember your first touches of the ball when you came to Arsenal? They’re not the same as they are now’. And I’d answer: ‘you’re right. They’re certainly not the same as they are now’.

Wenger’s knack of spotting and nurturing young talent has worked time and time again, but the worrying trend is these types of players are sold in their prime. Although the Gunners have coped without Song this season, we would have been stronger with him.

It was another gamble by the Frenchman to place his faith in Diaby and Wilshere to take over the reigns of the box-to-box role that Arteta played so well last season, but I feel that if Song stayed he would add real steel to the midfield and his athleticism is only bettered by the Ivorian with the receding hairline.

Song rarely suffered injuries and could play 90 minutes 3 times in a week no sweat, and with his attacking prowess that developed last season would have helped the midfield to flourish even more. But what is done is done, and we just have to hope that Wilshere and Diaby will be able to keep fit this season.

The Cameroonian had earlier stated he was ready to commit his future to the North London club, but when Barca came in it seemed the Gunners were enfactuated by the cash-monies on offer..That is the bottom line why Song left his Arsenal family.

So should we still look to replace him this January or next summer? With Coquelin looking decent, and Frimpong close to a full first team return, Wenger will almost definitely not look to reinforce the defensive midfield position. Arteta has filled Songs defensive void well, so as long as the Spaniard remains fit for the season and is able to be rotated with the younger duo for non-league matches then Wenger’s gamble will pay off.

What are your thoughts on Song’s departure? Do you think Wenger has made the right choice? Feel free to comment below or in allArsenal’s forums.

allArsenal.com are looking for a regular news writer to join our teamsee here for details.

Or are you interested in starting your own blog and earn money at the same time? Click here for more information.

How will you be watching Arsenal's upcoming match? Sign up to Sky Digital to watch football anywhere, anytime (even on your mobile!) or check out NOWTV to get access to a Sky Sports Day Pass for £9.99 with NO contract

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Arsenal News, News Feed

Comments (20)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Smell a Rat says:

It wasn’t the money, Song was flirting with Barca, he expressed an interest and I believe Wenger had just had enough of his players doing so as part of their negotiation tactics. So he was sold.

Rightly so. with Wiltshire, Frimpng, Le Coq and Diaby there is more than enough cover, and when the error prone Song is trying to hold the club to ransom Wenger and arsenal have done the right thing. It will send a message to the other players, to at least repect their employer.

The fact the players see Wenger as a Father is a double edged sword, as they feel they can get away with more. A hard line is defiantely needed at some point.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 23 Thumb down 3

2. Xi_Gunner says:

Old News…. Song is Gone.. And he was more than happy to sign.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 1

3. sube says:

If you read or listen to his full interview, he says that he left his family to come to Arsenal. On top of that he never said Arsenal team mates are like a family to him did he? He just said Arsene was “like” is father.
    It is more than clear that it was Song’s decision to leave and there was no reason to keep a player who wanted to go somewhere else.So, the question of whether Arsene was right to sell him is not legit.
    Replacement?Which position did Song play in? We have a defensive midfielder in Arteta playing far better than Song is.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 1

4. Abduba says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 11

5. gun1 says:

Dont care about him. He’s no more arsenal’s player.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

6. Aeolipile says:

Song is a good, but not great player. He often neglected his defensive duties if he saw a Hollywood pass to RvP. He often gave away free kicks in dangerous positions because he was out of position to begin with. He often just drifted out of games and basically left Arsenal playing with ten men. Arsene bought him for a million, sold him for fifteen million when he was worth maybe 8 or 9 million, that’s not bad. I really don’t get Barca’s thinking on this one- maybe he’s Mascherano’s understudy?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 4

7. Abu says:

Wishing him best of luck at Barca, a father needs a gift from son. He should not just express empty talk but action to man Wenger. He went for money, that should also be passed to father. So sorry that he wont be in African cup of nation, Gunners the great/ forever.

Mombasa, Kenya.

8. augustine says:

That you are nolonger an arsenal player how would you pay back to professor.

9. skwam says:

Song is not being missed but I dont get the sense at all of selling him…players now and again are shown interest by other clubs but as we saw during the summer Koscienly extended his contract even if Barca was interested…why didnt the same happen for Song? I believe and Im sure many many Gunners believed that Song wanted to stay even for less that what Walcott is demanding. Wenger went on a charm offensive with RVP who had come to say he disagreed with how things are done at Arsenal, yet Song was sold at the blink of an eye….Song was the fittest outfield player at Arsenal and adaptable too. We certainly would have been stronger with him especially with Diaby being so injury prone and most of the other midfielders lacking in physicality. Did Wenger see Ramsye for example quickly developing to feel Songs attacking side of the game? We know defensively he could give away free kicks easily in dodgy areas of the pitch….then there is/was Wilshire to return and it could have meant someone would be frustrated particularly between Song and Wilshire as Arteta has proven beyond doubt that the defensive midfielder role is his….then there is the AFCON as well, came into Wengers thinking? But one thing I know is that someone or two will quickly become as good as Song or even better, Coquilin. More questions than answers on the Song transfer

10. rukky says:

There is more to this than meets the eye. Only Wenger ‘really’ knows why Song was sold..am not sure even Song understands his selling.

11. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 3

12. mu arsenali says:

song was good at tackle and good passes upfront but fallback was his main problem counters left us valnerable so we had to let him go since we could not keep him on bench.

13. seun says:

Song wanted leaving arsenal, so the best option is to let go. There is no point keeping a player whose mind is off d team. .

14. gunnerscore says:

The team improved after he left. NO loss at all.

15. weedz says:

If the best footballing side in the world asked for your signture, would you condider it?

This is a silly and naive article.

Alex Hleb went, so has Cesc, Marc and Emmanuel. How many other EPL club players were/are good enough to be asked?

Players like Nasri and van Persie only left for the money, but if they had of been asked, I have no doubt that they would be living in north-east Spain rather than north-west England.

And I say this as a Gooner of 50 yrs.

16. auspicious says:

I do trust all of the concepts you’ve presented for your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly function. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for newbies. May just you please lengthen them slightly from next time? Thanks for the post.

17. free bets says:

Thanks a lot for your interesting post. I’ve been looking for such message for a extremely long time. Not all your content material is completely clear to me, even though it truly is definitely fascinating and worth reading.

18. At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming
    yet again to read other news.

my webpage – pest control services

19. Wow, this article is fastidious, my younger sister is
    analyzing such things, thus I am going to let know her.

my web page; Codes Psn Gratuit

20. Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be at
    the net the easiest thing to keep in mind of. I say to you,
    I certainly get annoyed while other folks consider worries that they just
    do not understand about. You managed to hit the nail
    upon the highest and also defined out the whole thing with no need
    side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.