Team News:Szczesny two weeks away, but Sagna back in full training

| September 28, 2012 | 15 Comments

Thomas Vermaelen is fit to play against Chelsea this Saturday after he missed the Manchester City tie at the last minute due to suffering from the flu, while number one Wojciech Szczesny is set to miss the next two-three weeks as the ankle injury continues to sideline the youngster.

Vito Mannone will continue between the sticks as Fabianski’s bad luck with injuries continues, however the Gunners defence will certainly look even stronger in the coming weeks with the return of first choice right back Bacary Sagna to full training.

The following team news was revealed on Arsenal’s official website:

[on the latest team news] Thomas Vermaelen is available again for selection. Apart from that, I think from last Sunday at Man City and from Wednesday night we have only good news because everyone should be available for Saturday’s game.

[on returning players] We have Sagna who is back in full training, we have Wilshere and Frimpong back in full training, but of course they will not be available for Saturday.

We have still Szczesny injured, Fabianski injured, but the others should be alright. Tomas Rosicky is two weeks away, he is not far away. Szczesny is two to three weeks away.

Apart from the lack of goalkeepers Arsenal’s fortunes with injuries seems to have changed for now (touchwood). The return of Sagna and Wilshere especially will strengthen the squad depth significantly, however the recovering duo will still require a week or so before they will be available for selection.

Wilshere is set to feature for the U21 side which will be a big boost for his confidence and match fitness, while Sagna will need time to adjust to playing once again after a lengthy spell suffering from a broken leg.

The biggest boost ahead of the Chelsea fixture is the return of Thomas Vermaelen to the squad. After a brilliant display by Koscielny hopefully the pair can be Wenger’s first choice pairing for this weekends vital fixture.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Mertesacker should be benched for the first time this season in the League? He has performed admirably, but Vermaelen and Kosc are both agile and powerful which will be needed to overcome the likes of Mata, Hazard and Oscar.

Tags: ,

Category: Arsenal News, News Feed

Comments (15)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. elkieno says:

Mertesacker has been playing great. To bench him would just send out a message to all the fringe players- dont try, we’ve made our choice.

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 1

• Abeeb says:

Vermalean and mertesacker

• dave says:

I would say vermaelen and Koscienly are too very similar defenders. Strong, skilful and usually clean in the tackle. Koscienly’s succesful tackles rate was through the roof last season. But I think Mert offers us so much organisation and a calmness that we have so often lacked in the past. His recent form has been impeccable and it seems to blend well with the other 3 defenders. Mert and Vermaelen for my money…. and I love Koscienly playing so it’s not easy. Glad I’m not Wenger although… i’d like his bank balance.

2. dats says:

Mertesacker should play – 100%. An outstanding footballer, his reading of the game, his anticipation and the understanding he has established with Jenkinson on the right side of defence has been top class.

The return of Sagna will be welcomed big time, but, in my opinion he will have to sit on the bench and wait for his opporunity to return. Jenkinson improves game by game.

All things considered,I feel that this is the best squad I can remember – yes I know there’s no longer a Bergkamp, Henry, Wright, Logie, Eastham, Brady et al, but certainly in midfield the options are breathtaking!

Then again I have only been going to Highbury since 1949! Yes I still say Highbury – it used to be the Arsenal Stadium, Highbury and now it’s the Emirates Stadium, Highbury, so as far as I am concerned nothing has changed, it will always be Highbury for me!

I am as excited about the future now as I have ever been. Come on you Gunners!!

Spot-on. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 0

3. Aussie Jack says:

I`m not too concerned about `sending meassages` Wenger will play those he thinks suit the situation best, it is not a demotion. Against Chelsea I have the feeling he will go with Koscieiny and Vermaelen.

4. Eriss says:

Hmm, well I don’t know. Its really a problem, but a very pleasant one. Let’s trust Wenga!

5. Msugh(Dj) says:

Wenger should play koscieny and verm against chelsea.infact a win against them ll make the world believe in us once again.Gunner till i DIE!

6. Kings says:

I would love wenger to bench Jekinson,play kosielny from right back then Val and Mert to play the central role..

7. enes thomas says:

arsene wenger should better use kols and vaml against chelsea at weekend, up gunners 4 life.

8. Jekison is trying a lot but if my oponion,let our boss bench him and use koseln 4 right becus chels is not a smal team and no smal boys 4 that 4ront.gibbs,verminator,mateseka(advantage of long leg)and kosenley 4 back.gunners until i die

9. Vorsh stevo says:

In arsene we trust. Bt i think this is the team to beat chelsea bigtym:
    manone
    kosc -mert -vam -gibs
    diaby -arteta -carzola
    poldi -walcot -gervino

10. Kabeer usman says:

In arsene we trust let him use koscienly, verminator mert gibbs, midfields diaby, arteta and santi attarkers dolski gervinho and ox. Gunners for ever

11. yemsey says:

dont forget jekinson played verywell against livpool and more brill against city he will even more okay to play him against chelsea.up gooner